Toffee Apple Doughnuts
For the apple & caramel compôte
2 dessert apples, such as Golden Delicious, skin and core removed, cut into1cm/½in dice
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1-2 tsp caster sugar, to taste
1 x can condensed milk (caramel version if available)
100g x plain flour
10g x yeast
125ml x luke warm milk
¼ tsp x salt
150g x plain flour
25g x caster sugar
5g x salt
50g x butter
1 x egg
- For the apple caramel sauce, simmer can of condensed milk for 3-4 hours then leave to cool, unless you have the caramel version. Heat a frying pan over a medium heat until hot, and then add the butter. When the butter is foaming, add the apple and cinnamon, and sugar and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes, until just softened.
- Add more sugar to taste, and fry the apples for a further minute, or until glossy. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and blend with3-4 tbsp of caramel mix to a smooth purée. Set aside to cool.
- For the doughnuts, mix the first amount of flour, salt, yeast and warm milk. Mix together. Cover with cling film and set aside for one hour to ferment
- Mix the second mixture together, add the fermentation mixture and on a mixer, beat the mix with a hook attachment and on the lowest setting mix until the mixture comes away from the sides
- When the doughnut mix is ready, divide it into equal portions and roll each into a ball.
- Line a tray with baking parchment and place the dough balls onto it, leaving plenty of room between each ball. Set aside in a warm place to prove for a further 20 minutes.
- When the dough has proved, heat the oil in a deep fat fryer to 150C/320F. Alternatively, heat the oil in a deep, heavy-based saucepan until a breadcrumb sizzles and turns brown when dropped into it. (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.)
Carefully lower the dough balls into the hot oil in batches and deep fry for 3-4 minutes, or until golden-brown. Remove from the pan using a slotted spoon and dust with one side caster sugar set aside to drain on kitchen paper.
With a skewer make a small hole in the side of the doughnut and place the apple mix into a piping bag and pipe a small amount into the center, then with the sugarless side dip the doughnuts into the apple caramel mixture then serve.