American Pancakes with New Forest Strawberries, Raspberries, Maple Syrup and Crème fraiche
Makes: 12 pancakes
125g plain flour
1 medium egg
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
4 teaspoons Baking Powder
16 strawberries quartered
50gm maple syrup
100gm Crème fraiche
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until well blended.
- Pre-heat a large non-stick frying pan on medium-high heat. Spoon out a portion of the batter into the pan.
- The surface will begin to bubble. When most of the bubbles have popped (about 3 minutes), flip the pancake and allow it to cook for 2 to 3 more minutes.
- As each pancake finishes cooking, stack the cooked ones on a baking tray in a low temperature oven to keep them warm whilst cooking the rest.
- Warm the Strawberries and raspberries in a pan under the grill, add maple syrup and coat the fruit.
- Pile the warm pancakes onto a serving dish, place the fruit around the pancakes and on top, drizzle the syrup over the top and serve with a quenelle of crème fraiche